Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Alissa Cornell: Tamer of Chaos

Alissa Cornell is cool. How cool? Glacier cool.

If the services provided by all of the individual IC personnel combined to form one single entity (think the summoning of Captain Planet), Alissa would be the circulatory system of that entity.  She keeps IC flowing and organized. That idea might be a bit cerebral, but it's also awesome. And, so is Alissa.

Yesterday, I had the chance to sit down with Alissa, between tasks, to ask her a few questions about her as an individual, and not just the helpful assistance she provides for the IC Department.

Q: Alissa, would you mind telling the readers a little about yourself?
A: I was raised in Southern California, but I moved to Virginia with my parents when I was a teenager. I had no choice in this move...  I grew up next to an air force base, and wanted to be a fighter pilot.  As a kid, when I played Charlies Angles, I was always Kelly Garrett.  I have been married for 22 blissful years and have 3 amazing children.  Our oldest child just graduated from Lynchburg College with honors, our son is a junior here at SU, and our youngest child will be a junior at Handley High School.  My kids are fantastic, and keep me laughing all the time.    

Q: How long have you been in with the IC Department of SU?
A: 5 1/2 years ago I applied for an office admin position, and was hired for that position; however, keeping up with the entire IC department has become a job in and of itself.

Q: Do you have any hobbies?
A: I read!  I read trashy romance novels, mysteries & legal thrillers!

Q: Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?
A: One horse sized duck because I think I could take it.  It'd be tough, but I can handle it.

Q: Do you have a nickname?
A: Princess!

Q: Word on the street is that you are an animal lover, are these street rumors true?
A: Yes, I love cats and dogs. I have three dogs, three cats, and a hamster, and I'm crazy about all of them.

Q: What's your most memorable moment at SU?
A: Wow, I'm going to go with the very first iMLearning distribution.  It was insane! It was insane because it was both chaotic and a totally new experience.  I was by myself with 700 students, and a clip board of the  names of those that should receive iML equipment.  At one point, I was standing on a table in order to manage the chaos, and the night before, worked until 1am to mark the students with unpaid balances.

Q: What does a typical work day look like for you?
A: There is no such thing as a typical work day for me. Usually I'll get to work, clock in, check messages, check my boss's messages, answer questions from people in my department, finish up things from the day before, answer emails/phone calls from other departments, and then I will meet with my boss who generally has five to ten individual tasks for me to accomplish.  I'm always busy, and keeping up with Quaiser is always an adventure.

Q: If you disappeared into an extra-dimensional pocket for an extended period of time, and nobody filled your job, what would happen after six months?
A: Total chaos. Who would keep up with this department? I think things would get disorganized quickly.  My role could be filled, but I think it would take an individual with a special skill-set to replace me.

Q: Is there anything else you would like people to know abour your labor at SU?
A: I don't really know how to precisely describe my job other than being task oriented yet able to be exactly what the department requires of me at any specific moment.  

Throughout the interview Alissa and I were cracking easy jokes, and laughing. It's pretty safe to say that Alissa is not only a cool person as an individual, but a high value asset to the IC Department itself.  If you ever need to contact Alissa, her email is acornell@su.edu and her extension is #4325

No comments:

Post a Comment